Tuesday, August 18, 2009

On the Road to Recovery. I DON'T CARE.

News flash: The Economy is on the Road to Recovery

As Dana Carvey (the Church Lady) used to say, "Well, isn't that special."

It sure would be nice to think that these "experts" are correct. Signs (as miniscule as they may be) of recovery and so-called 'green shoots' are apparently popping up across the economic landscape. The stock market is up; housing starts are up; the sky is still up.

On the other hand, one could make an argument that recovery, while eminent, is not upon us. There are even accusations that the media is falsely reporting signs of an economic recovery. Unemployment is growing; foreclosures are mounting; and Tiger just choked on a 54-hole lead in a Major.

Here's the cool part: I DON'T CARE.

I don't care because my plan isn't contingent on statistics or data. My future success isn't predicated on anyone other than ME and the energy I commit. Notwithstanding the support of my wife, my parents and siblings, my treasured employees, a few select friends and, of course, my bankers, I cannot (and will not) allow my energies to adjust like a thermometer depending on the latest news flash that makes me FEEL better (or worse) about being in business.

This is why you won't view me Twittering or emailing or regurgitating these economic statistics or fighting to save these useless government programs (see The Clunker Close blog) intended to spur economic activity.

Here's to being a thermostat.

No comments:

Post a Comment