Monday, August 3, 2009

Getting Back to the Basics

Maybe it takes a Great Recession to relearn the fundamentals needed to succeed. Maybe this is all about getting back to the basics.

Two years ago, my business was more about Paperwork than Peoplework. I think about the mindboggling number of hours spent studying reports and financial statements and cash flow diagrams and employee evaluations. I think about the amount in time spent in MEETINGS!

No more. At least it won't be as much.

Recently, I've been spending more time away from the office and in the field - in the trenches. I've been meeting with homeowners, touring the home sites with prospective buyers, inspecting homes with warranty claims - taking a more personal approach to the business. It all reminds me of how I started in the business 10 years ago. More Peoplework and less Paperwork.

And it's working.

My company just finished its best July sales performance EVER. As far as I'm concerned we've already started a trend. Some will argue that a month does not a year make. And they would be correct. But don't bet against me.

In closing, how much time are you spending on Paperwork versus time spent on Peoplework? If it's the former, how's that working for you?

3 comments:

  1. "A common time-waster is malorganization. Its symptom is an excess of meetings. Meetings are by definition a concession to deficient organization, for one either meets or one works. One cannot do both at the same time." Peter Drucker, The Effective Executive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a great July! Your attitude is impressive, and it will be contagious to those around you.

    ReplyDelete