Wednesday, September 9, 2009

How Much Do You Charge for Integrity?

I know, it's a strange question.

But it seems to me that too many people are willing to compromise their integrity. In other words, people will discount their moral values to get the deal done, to please the boss, to avoid scrutiny. Some people don't even hide their intent.

You already knew that.

Here's the interesting part: I'm seeing this (lack of integrity) trend within prospective buyers of our homes. It's strange because I come from the school of thought that the buyer is always right. It occurs to me, though, that some buyers are only in the deal for themselves. There is no reciprocity.

Don't get me wrong. I respect the fact that people are looking out for themselves. Sometimes, you are all YOU have.

What I challenge is the immoral actions these buyers will take. For example, a prospective buyer who works with a buyer's agent (without a written agreement) for weeks in search of a new home only to then exclude the agent when the right (or wrong) home is chosen, hoping that the builder will slash the price even further. That's lack of integrity.

No doubt, the economy is wreaking havoc on our pocketbooks. It doesn't have to take a toll on our integrity.

At the end of the day, if you're only left with your integrity (and literally nothing else), you'll live a life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment